Instagram Reels: Is Instagram’s latest baby taking over TikTok?
WHAT ARE Instagram reels?
In order to compete with TikTok’s massive and rapid growth, Instagram decided to release Reels, their newest feature.
What are Instagram Reels? It’s a short video from 3 to 15 seconds. It’s located on a separate tab in your profile just like IGTV. If you’re familiar with Tiktok, you’ll feel like home. If not, think of IG Reels as another attempt from IG to maintain dominance in the social video landscape.
With this new creation, sort of an upgrade for the IG lovers and a short version of TikTok’s videos, IG tries to get its users to spend more time on the platform.
How to use Instagram Reels
HOW TO MAKE AN INSTAGRAM REEL
- Make sure you have the latest update (between 152.0 and 153.0)
- Open Stories camera and you’ll notice that the interface has changed. Now it’s divided into Live, Story and Reels. The longest you can make a video is 15 seconds.
- Before sharing you can add a caption to your reel, select a cover and allow it to appear on your feed.
- You can record the video in separated clips.
- Bear in mind you can only edit or delete the latest clip.
- Music: Select within a variety of songs and sounds, just like in your stories. You can lip sync with this tool.
- Speed: Control how quickly or slowly your video records.
- Effects: You can choose between a variety of filters.
- Timer: You can select how long the clip will be. Once you set the timer, you’ll see a countdown before the recording starts.
- Align: If you’re into transitions, this is a useful tool. It’s very similar to Vine’s ghosting tool. It shows you a sort of transparent still of your last recorded frame so you can line yourself up perfectly for the best shot. This is a cool option if you want to play with costume change or include someone else in your video, ensuring a perfect transition. This is one of the options TikTok does not yet have.
TIPS FOR THE BEST INSTAGRAM REELS
PLAY WITH TIME
The speed function is great once you’ve mastered it. It slows down your audio while you’re recording to make it easier to be in time with the beat. You can also use it for slow-motion effects.
The Importance of Filters
Instagram allows your to create your own filters and share them with others. So there is a giant archive of filters you can use in your Reels video. The possibilities are endless!
RECORD SEVERAL CLIPS
Stitching together multiple clips rather than a simple single-take video will make your Reels video stand out.
USE YOUR AUDIENCE
When posting, make sure that you tick the box ‘also share to feed’ for the video to get initial engagement from your followers. This will help to push it into the Explore page.
INCLUDE A CALL TO ACTION
Come up with ways of getting people to interact with your video, such as “double tap if you agree!” or “tag someone who knows what this means”.
Lighting is key
Not having good natural light will make effects, green screens, and other customizations difficult to use.
HAVE YOU SEEN
OUR OTHER SERVICES?
See all Instagram services here >